Mexico City /
They are agile and dynamic, but not as independent as is believed. Kittens love being cared for and cared for by apapaches and depending on their breed and life experiencesThey show very different personalities. Whatever the case, they require attention.
“Once it is decided to have a cat, the new guardian must investigate or seek advice from an animal health and welfare expert on the care that the furry cat for which he will be responsible will require.”, says Emilia Tobías, veterinarian and technical manager of the Pet segment at Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health.
The specialist comments that cats can live up to 15 years on average, or even more, with correct attention and care.
If you recently adopted one, we share a guide to consider some of the necessary care.
- Assign a comfortable and safe space. Make sure he has a litter box, proper food dishes, access to water, a bed, and high, safe places to rest. Toys and scratching posts will also help him get acquainted with his new home.
- Regular visits to the vet are mandatory to keep him healthy and prevent health problems, especially the silent ones such as Chronic Kidney Disease, suffered by one in five cats.
- Cats do not need to bathe because they use their raspy tongue, covered with hundreds of tiny, sharp hooks called filiform papillae, for grooming. However, regular brushing and clipping are care that you can do.
- Feed it a balanced diet that provides the necessary nutrients, as well as a balance between proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. Consult your vet to decide based on their stage of life, breed, and state of health.
- Cats are curious and hunters by nature, so try to have physical activity. If he is at home, the ideal is to use toys that hold him back. If he goes out, put a collar and ID tag on him.
- Vaccinate to prevent disease. Protection against stomach worms, fleas and ticks is essential. It is also advisable to sterilize it to prevent conditions associated with hormonal disorders and, of course, to reduce the population of animals that may become homeless.
They can live up to 15 years, a fact that must be taken into account when adopting. jesus quintanar